heliette.neveu@ac-grenoble.fr
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Go down
léane.ressot

Debate and discuss Pride and Prejudice characters Empty Debate and discuss Pride and Prejudice characters

Mon 6 Apr - 16:48
When I read the articles, as said Fleur it seems like the writers didn’t like the book. These criticisms just put the characters down for most of them. Mr Darcy is probably, to me, the character who has been the most criticized, in the most brutal way. He is self-centered, "depressive", manipulative, hypocritical, arrogant, he thinks that nothing is his fault and doesn’t know himself. Compared to Mr Wickham, represented by PD James as a humble and admirable gentleman, I felt like Mr Darcy was a teenager in crisis and I didn't perceive him like that in the excerpts we studied. Actually, I'd be more tempted to say that this description of an arrogant man would suit Mr Collins...

Concerning Mrs and Mr Bennet they also seem unbearable and the article on Mr Bennet just try to make people change their opinion on his character, it exposes the reasons of why he shouldn’t have this « popularity » and not why people should like him. He is described as a selfish man, an unbearable husband and a duffer father who belittle Mary every time. The adjectives for Mrs Bennet are demeaning, she's a stupid and a ridiculous mother. Their descriptions don't enhance them at all and these articles almost question Austen's work (even though we can appreciate a book without liking some of the characters).

The majority of the authors despise the characters and the Bennet family appears to be a family of hypocrites with a misogynistic daughter (Elizabeth) who continually criticizes Lydia who, according to her, shames the family with her actions contrary to the codes of the time.
Reading these articles showed me another side of each character that I think is far too excessive. They were either positive or negative and not mixing both points of view is uninteresting for me because this is not objective. We cannot make our own representation of a character.

Paula Byrne's Lydia is probably my favorite character because I like her "rebellious" side and her spontaneity. She doesn't care about her image and what other people may think. She’s just having fun and enjoying her youth. The fact that she doesn't want to fit into the codes of her era probably makes it easier for contemporary audiences to identify with her and I think it's interesting to create a character "offbeat" of its time.

Léane
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum